Re[2]: How to change the value of MAXDATAFILES of a running

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:39:39 -0400

Sadly Stephen you are half correct. Assuming that the 'create database' command was done with a 'maxdatafile <xxx>' where xxx is something greater than what is in init.ora, then yes you are right, you can change maxdatafiles in init.ora and bounce the database. BUT, if 'xxx' is equal to or less than init.ora your stuck rebuilding the control file.

Subject: Re: How to change the value of MAXDATAFILES of a running ins Author: "Stephen J Palmer" <spalmer_at_brk.photronics.com> Date: 5/30/00 12:13 PM

This may not be my place.... but can't you just make the change in the init.ora file
and bounce the instance. I don't believe you have to recreate the controlfile... but
I believe you will have to bounce the instance to have the new setting take effect.?

Please let me know if this is not correct.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Boyd wrote:

> I'm surprised that nobody else has answered this one yet, so I'll go ahead
> and post.
>
> You need to recreate the controlfile. Do the good old ALTER DATABASE BACKUP
> CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;
>
> Up the parameter in the script this generates, and recreate the controlfile.
> Of course, you will need to take down your database to do this.
>
> >From: ALEMU Abiy <abiy.alemu_at_criltechnology.com>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> >Subject: How to change the value of MAXDATAFILES of a running instance ?
> >Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:56:04 -0800
> >
> >Is there somebody who knows how to change the MAXDATAFILES parameter value
> >of a running database ? If so, I'm really very grateful to anyone who can
> >explain me.
> >
> >Thank you friends !!!
> >--
> >Author: ALEMU Abiy
> > INET: abiy.alemu_at_criltechnology.com
> >
> >Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051

Stephen Palmer
Junior Database Administrator
Photronics Inc.
15 Secor Road
Brookfield, Conn.
203.740.5331
Pager 203-830-0306 or 1-800-706-7109
mailto:spalmer_at_brk.photronics.com
Home Number 203.270.8159
Alpha Pager mailto:spalmer.pager_at_brk.photronics.com

Author: Stephen J Palmer
  INET: spalmer_at_brk.photronics.com