Oracle 8i - the space wasting pig

From: Andreas Jung <ajung_at_sz-sb.de>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:44:50 +0200

Dear all,

I am running a Oracle 8i database with UTF8 character set. I store text files inside a CLOB (extra lob segment). I can see that Oracle always needs two times the space to store the text inside the LOB segement compared to the size of the originial file. Is this a general problem or is this problem related to the UTF8 character set ?! It seems to me that Oracle need 2 bytes for every character although most of the text is pure Ascii.

Andreas Received on Tue May 30 2000 - 12:44:50 CDT