Re: Need your idea on setting up Distributed database

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 18:05:44 -0700 (PDT)

Balasubramanian,

This is an ideal situation for replication. Whether you go with read-only snapshots, updateable snapshots or multi-master replication depends on the number of sites involved and the business needs. In general multi-master replication becomes rather difficult to maintain with more than 8-9 master sites. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the amount of maintenance, and related headaches, increases dramatically once you get above that threshold. Personally I prefer to limit multi-master to < 4 sites.

8i supports read-only and updateable snapshots with the standard edition (8.0 and below require Enterprise Edition for Updateable snapshots); multi-master replication requires EE in all versions.

HTH,

Do You Yahoo!? Received on Mon May 29 2000 - 20:05:44 CDT