RE: ORA-12500 error

From: Maheshwara Rao, L., Teki <teki01_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:09:55 -0400

Hi Gary,
I faced similar problem. You correct it in the following way.

  1. Check in the TNSNAMES.ora file ($ORACLE_HOME/network/admin).
  2. Modify the name of your service as -- ORCL.WORLD (This is the culprit mostly. Your service handler may not be having the name appended as .WORLD).
  3. In sqlnet.ora, change the default name as WORLD.

Now, issue the command -- sqlplus us/pwd_at_ORCL

It should work.

Maheshwara Rao, L., Teki
E Mail : teki01_at_mediaone.net

Author: Gary Fox