Re: Modify partition range

From: <Lisa_Koivu_at_gelco.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:19:23 -0500

Gregory,

We have time-sensitive partitions in one of our data warehouses (8.0.4) As far as I know there is no way to easily reset partition ranges. Which means that every time we approach the PART_MAX partition, I have to take the database down for an afternoon, split partitions, and rebuild the primary key and all the indexes. Not a trivial thing on a 85M row table.

If you do find out a trick I don't know, I would be interested in what it is. But after reading through the (scant) doco, it really looked like there was no way out.

Lisa

Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com> on 05/25/2000 07:26:17 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Lisa Koivu/GELCO)

Subject: Modify partition range

Have a problem currently with partitioned tables. Quick background - information warehouse database (~400gb) with the average table size around 20 million rows. Many of these tables are partitioned according to a year/month range (e.g. part01 values less than 200013).

The problem is that there is a certain amount of retention of data and any records older than the required retention period can be deleted. I want to use the partitions in a round robin fashion, that is, if I only need 8 years worth of data, I only want to have 8 partitions. When a year can be rolled off, I want to re-use the partition that will now be empty (truncate it then reuse it). However, I cannot find a way to reassign the partition range value without dropping and recreating the partition with the desired range.

Has anybody run up against this problem before, and if so, what was the final solution?

Thanks,
GC
--

There is something inherently wrong with the world when Bill Gates is a famous billionaire and Dennis Ritchie lives in relative obscurity.

Author: Gregory Conron
  INET: gconron_at_hfx.andara.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri May 26 2000 - 08:19:23 CDT