RE: RAID help

From: <George.Brennan_at_warnermusic.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:21:37 GMT

Hmmmm.

> I got a problem. I was asked to tune the database as its performance
> very poor. Here is the existing database layout.
>
> Machine : IBM Netfinity 5500 M-20 with 2 x 550MHz processors.
> disks : RAID5 disk array with 4 x 9.1 gigs (net 27 gigs)
> with additional scsi channel connected to DLT tape drive external
> OS : WinNT 4.0 service pack 6
> Oracle : 8i standard edition with one 8k block instance
> Application: web application through Story server
> The entire disk array is made into 2 logical drives. 5 gigs and 22
> gig OS and Oracle is installed on small logical drive and Data , index,
> RBS, TEMP, LOB tablespaces ,exports, REDOs and Archive logs are on 22 gigs
> logical volume.
>
> I advised the client to replace RAID5 with RAID0 + 1.
> Unfortunately Hardware does not support. IBM guy clarified this.

Clarifed? RAID 0+1 is striping an mirroring

> The client does not want to spend any amount for additional disks.
> I left with two options :
> 1. To go for IBM enhanced RAID1 (striping + mirror)
> 2. Live with RAID5
> In the above cases, Please suggest me for suitable database layout
> which will
> give improve present bottleneck of disk I/0 .
> Before tuning RDBMS and SQL, I would like to come to baseline
> compromise with database layout.

You have 4 x 9 gig disks.
The client doesn't want to spend any more.

Only one answer really.

Scrap the RAID and use 4 individual drives and implemment a proper backup strategy.

C: NT/Oracle   * logs
D: data
E: Index
F: temp/redo

RAID and ORACLE with 4 drives is a waste of time. Received on Fri May 26 2000 - 09:21:37 CDT