RE: core_dump_dest = /dev/null?

From: Janardhana Babu <jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:30:50 -0700

Jared,
Here are the results:

SVRMGR>oradebug setorapid 9
Unix process PID: 4143, image oracle_at_shelby TNS(V1-V3) SVRMGR>oradebug core
statement Processed.

I have not found the trace file in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log but instead I found the trace file in /usr/local/oracle/log/inst/usr, the contents are as follows:

Dump file /usr/local/oracle/log/inst/usr/ora_4159.trc Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0, 64 bit - Production With the Partitioning and Java options
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
ORACLE_HOME = /usr/local/oracle/815
System name: HP-UX
Node name:      shelby
Release:        B.11.00
Version:        A
Machine:        9000/879

Instance name: inst
Redo thread mounted by this instance: 1
Oracle process number: 9
Unix process pid: 4143, image: oracle_at_shelby (TNS V1-V3)

The parameters are set as follows:

inst:SQL>select name,value from v$parameter where name like '%dump%';

NAME                           VALUE

------------------------------
------------------------------

shadow_core_dump               partial

background_core_dump           partial

background_dump_dest           /usr/local/oracle/log/inst

user_dump_dest                 /usr/local/oracle/log/inst/usr

max_dump_file_size             10240

core_dump_dest                 /dev/null

6 rows selected.

initinst.ora values:

user_dump_dest                = /usr/local/oracle/log/inst/usr
core_dump_dest                = /dev/null
background_dump_dest            = /usr/local/oracle/log/inst
max_dump_file_size            = 10240

Please let me know the feedback.

Thanks,
-- Janardhana Babu