Re: !! TGIF !! RE: Pls let it die - RE: Oracle DBA opening in

From: Chris Royce <Chris_at_Royce.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 20:39:09 -0400

Yo Jared !!

    I applaud that !! Although I (myself) seem to always be on call !! The last three weeks have been interesting to say the least - we are TRU64 on DEC (Compaq) 8400 Alphas with ADVFS. We have lost disk drives on a regular basis lately (panics !!) (3 times in 3 weeks) and because of a limited numbers of spindles, on our PRODUCTION Box, my databases are interleaved (not my choice) and I have -- in fact done 15+ database recoveries, with varying degrees of damage, during that time -- !! All were recovered and I feel like I have been through the 'RINGER'. I am now pretty well convinced that if you follow the 'ofa' based ORACLE ' backup' procedures you can in fact recover from just about any situation. I recovered a database yesterday after ALL controlfiles were accidentally deleted and we didn't know until a log switch unsuccessfully (did not) occur. Anyway have a great Memorial Day !! You got Jack at your shop ?? Tell him he owes me mail !!