Shutdown immediate - not quite as immedaite as I want it to be

From: Weerd de E.C. Kirsten <Kirsten.deWeerd_at_Oranjewoud.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:36:16 +0100

Hi,

I've seen some posts about Shutdown immediate and how clean it is. As far as I can tell it's clean, we use it in a batch every night.

I have some other problem though, in which I would like your advise.

Sometime there are still procedures running when the batch kicks in and tries to do a shutdown immediate. Most of the time, the proces still running get's killed and the database is shut down. However, in some cases this does not happen, and the procedure just keeps running.

Result : no other users can log on to Oracle until the procedure is completed and the batch can continue, or until I have manually killed everything and do a shutdown abort.

Any advise as to what I can do to make sure de procedure is stopped, but in the cleanest possible way?

I read something about shutdown transactional. Should I use that instead ?

Oracle 7.2.3 on HP-UX 10.20

Any advise will be greatly appreciated ! Received on Thu May 25 2000 - 05:36:16 CDT