RE: Oracle Names

From: Deshpande, Kirti <Kirti.Deshpande_at_gtedc.gte.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:05:14 -0500

What a coincidence!!
I was looking for LDAP on Metalink and found the following Forum message... Now, What next ?

From: tim lemaster 24-May-00 19:03
 Subject: ORACLE NAMES FUTURE

 RDBMS Version:: 8051&816
 Operating System and Version:: AIX 4.3.x  Error Number (if applicable)::
 Server Net Version:: net8
 Client Operating System and Version:: win95,98,nt  Client Net Version:: net8

 ORACLE NAMES FUTURE  I recently attended an 8i features course.  Both the instructor and several class members  indicated that ORACLE would be introducing  an alternative in v9 due to many problems  that exist with this product.

 Does ORACLE have an official position on this item yet.

 THANKS in advance---tim----

 From: Oracle, Kathy Ting 25-May-00 05:29  Subject: Re : ORACLE NAMES FUTURE

 Oracle Internet Directory (OiD) is Oracle's current (8.1.6 and after) preferred name lookup solution, and OiD (or LDAP in  general) will also
 support other Oracle features such as global user definitions  and config profiles (replacing local sqlnet.ora etc).

 Depending on the scale of your Oracle Names implementation (how far along you are) and other timing factors, you may  want to begin with ONames and migrate to LDAP. In any event consider LDAP your primary 'target' implementation. Any  hierarchy (domain) structure should be defined as it will be in LDAP, naming consistency will be a strong factor in how  painless their migration would be.

 ONames has an operation in version 8.1.6 (namesctl dump_ldap) which enables the migration of all its data to an LDAP  system. The tools for managing the data in LDAP are probably better than those for managing ONames data in net8, so  we encourage the adop2tion of LDAP as soon as possible.

 Once the data is migrated, older pre-LDAP clients will continue to  rely on some pre-LDAP name-lookup (onames, tnsnames, etc). There will  be a modification to ONames in version 8.2 which will enable the ONames servers to load their region data directly out of  LDAP. This relieves admins from maintaining the same data in two places in parallel. Note however that this comes out  with version 8.2, so is not available yet.

 ONames will remain in the product set as long as pre-LDAP (80) clients  are supported. There is no date yet for its expiration.  Thank you for using the MetaLink Forum,  Kathy
 Oracle Support.