Re: Re[2]: Big Whoops

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:11:57 -0400

The best (worst) one I've done was when running a cold backup of a database using tar. I saved all of the database's file names in dbfiles.dat. I wanted to enter: tar cvf output.tar `cat dbfiles.dat` Instead I entered: tar cvf 1`cat dbfiles.dat`

End result was that it took the first file in the .dat file as the output file and that just happened to be system01.dbf!

--
Chuck Hamilton
QVC Inc.

                    Winnie_Liu_at_in
                    fonet.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Ext: NA              cc:     (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON/QVC)
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Re[2]: Big Whoops
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    05/25/00
                    03:00 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

One time I delete all the online redo files on a production system. And the
database crash in front of eyes in minutes.....

I have so many X windows open up, connecting to different server with the
same color and the database SID happened to be the same on the test and
production.... :<

Now I made all my X windows for different sessions all in different colors!
Like a rainbow flying on my desktop!

Winnie :)

"Steve Boyd" <pimaco_oracle_at_hotmail.com> on 05/25/2000 08:38:37 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
cc:    (bcc: Winnie Liu/HQ/ISC)

I'd like to post a question for everyone on the list.

How many of you have ever dropped a table, or done something like that in
the wrong database(thinking you were connected to say the test DB), and
hosed production?

Steve Boyd

________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com -- Author: Steve Boyd INET: pimaco_oracle_at_hotmail.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Author: INET: Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in