Re: Copy/Backup time limits (was Big Whoops response)

From: Robert Eskridge <bryny_at_dfweahs.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:53:24 -0500

Your storage selection can make a big difference in this process. The EMC reps tout doing a three way mirror, breaking the mirror to do tape backups and clones off of the static version and then re-silvering. Thus the production database is only offline long enough for the break to occur. We use Network Appliance filers here, where a snapshot accomplishes the same thing in a few seconds.

Another way of accomplishing this is to make your clones off of a standby database.

This cat can be skinned all sorts of ways.