Re: Re[2]: Big Whoops

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 19:07:09 -0300

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Steve Boyd wrote:
> I'd like to post a question for everyone on the list.
>
> How many of you have ever dropped a table, or done something like that in
> the wrong database(thinking you were connected to say the test DB), and
> hosed production?

Happened twice this month. First a DBA thought he in test but was actually on the production box, and dropped a large table (>10 million rows). Second time, a developer was logged on as the schema owner (don't ask) and did the exact same thing to the exact same table. Poor table, didn't deserve this :)

Fortunately, the Oracle instance was being run in parrallel with a DB2 instance prior to the decommisioning of the DB2 database, so we could get an export from them and reload via sqlloader.

Needless to say, there is only one person allowed in the production environment now, and I watch my moves *very* carefully...

Cheers,
GC
 --
There is something inherently wrong with the world when Bill Gates is a famous billionaire and Dennis Ritchie lives in relative obscurity. Received on Thu May 25 2000 - 17:07:09 CDT