Re: Executing DDL from trigger

From: Atish Prasad Das <atish.das_at_wipro.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 19:38:58 +0530

sad for u Jim..... but as long as the origin is a trigger, u can not commit/issue a ddl..... but if u have entry into the application code, then u can very much issue the DBMS_SQL from within the application after the insert is performed. (As u have gone round the way i.e. the trigger, so I guess there is some hitch in that. If not, then u better try that.) ----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Conboy <Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 8:34 PM
Subject: Executing DDL from trigger

Hi folks-

I'm trying to simplify the process of creating a user account for a COTS package where I can't touch the code. There's some user configuration within the application, and of course there's creating the actual Oracle account. I created an insert trigger for the main user configuration table and used DBMS_SQL to execute a CREATE USER statement. The code works fine as a stored procedure, but as a trigger I get an error 4092 that commit not allowed in a trigger, presumably because of the CREATE USER DDL. I tried having the trigger execute the procedure but got the same error - actually I'd be disturbed if it didn't! I'm not looking for anything too involved here because a script will do the trick fine, just wondering if anybody has a simple suggestion to make this work. Thanks.

Jim

Author: Jim Conboy
  INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com