RE: shutdown hang

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:47:25 GMT

According to the internals class I am taking (and the instructor, Scott Gossett, is one of the best), rollback takes about as long as it took from the start of the transaction to when you started the rollback.

The reason is:

to make the original changes to the blocks, Oracle builds change vectors which get applied to the blocks (rollback segment header block, undo block and data block). When you rollback, you build similar change vectors to change things back...... Why you ask? Well, Oracle is building entries in the rollback segment to be able to rollback the rollback if a problem happens in the middle. Yes, I know that sounds strange, but when have we ever understood what Oracle is doing and why? <G>

So you are doing as much work to rollback as you did to get to that point.

This class rocks. And is making my head hurt... there is SO much to learn!

Rachel