RE: Primary & Foreign key constraints

From: <Colin.Shaw_at_phs.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:19:05 -0700

Rufus:

Whilst I agree that it's a disadvantage not having the RI enforcement at the database, I have worked on quite a few systems that did not. I wouldn't go so far as to call the designer "an idiot", because most, if not all, were legacy systems that had been designed before many databases even *had* RI syntax. They all "enforce" RI by "do-it-yourself" FK/PK lookups (using indices, of course.) It would be a waste of time at this point to put RI on the database(s) because unless the code was substantially modified to remove all the lookups, you would end up doing double the amount of work necessary. Luckily, there are little or no ad-hoc mods (or unrestricted accesses) to these databases. However, I think many programmers like to do the checking "for themselves" probably because they don't trust "the database" or "the DBAs" to do it for them!

Colin.

		Author: Rufus Chinnam
		  INET: rufus.chinnam_at_emirates.com

		Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
		San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /
Mailing Lists

		(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).
You may
		also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).

Author: Abdul Aleem
  INET: abchaudhary-ho_at_beaconhouse.edu.pk