Re: TCP listener not responding

From: <Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:13:13 -0700

We had that on our side also. And almost every time, it is something to do with the switches. One of the switches goes down, and we lost the connection to the internal network. When the switches got rebooted, then this happened (hanging of the listener).

Winnie

Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com> on 05/23/2000 11:11:36 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Winnie Liu/HQ/ISC)

Subject: Re: TCP listener not responding

Yes, we have experienced something similar on occasion.

Our listener(s) would just not respond. Everything else would indicate that all was OK.

'lsnrctl status' would report that the status was normal.

Until stopping/starting the listener, remote connections could not be made to the database.

Thankfully, this only happens rarely. Sorry, we've never been able to track down what was the cause of this behavior.

We suspect it was due to network problems we were experiencing, ( DNS in particular ), but could not prove it.

You may want to look at networking issues.

Jared

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Campbell, James wrote:

> Hello list(en)ers,
>
> while I start ploughing around in documentation, does anyone out there
have
> an experience fresh in their memory of a tcp listener ceasing to respond?
>
> Oracle 7.3.4.3.1, HP-UX, and it has only started doing this since Friday.
> The listener log shows no error messages, 'lsnrctl' command 'status
> tcp_listener' hangs, and the only way I can get anything to happen is to
> 'kill' the listener process and re-start the listener. Then it works for
> about 5 minutes before it goes AWOL again. I think it's a network problem
> rather than specifically a listener or database problem, would anyone
care
> to offer any alternative suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> James Campbell
> --
> Author: Campbell, James
> INET: James.Campbell_at_ca.com

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_bcbso.com