RE: SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE is not clean???

From: William Beilstein <BeilstWH_at_obg.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:13:40 -0400

I think your thinking about shutdown abort.

SHUTDOWN - disconnect all users when they have committed existing data. = Depending on the users and applications, this can take hours to takedown = the instance
SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE - Rollback all uncommitted transactions and shutdown = the instance. This is what's normally used. You DB is normally taken down = in a minute or two.
SHUTDOWN ABORT - Terminate all server processes. This gets the DB down in = a couple of seconds. The database can't be backed up cleanly and when the = DB is restarted, it will have to go through recovery. The recovery = "normally" works and the database recovers. This is normally used when the = D is hung and will not come down, or the server needs to be shutdown very = quickly.

>>> "Jesse, Richard" <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com> 05/23/00 11:16AM >>> How "not quite clean" is a shutdown if it's IMMEDIATE?

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                 Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI =
USA

This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan = VirusWall.
--=20
Author: Jesse, Richard
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue May 23 2000 - 15:13:40 CDT