Re: PRO C

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 22:50:35 +0100

> RC wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> What exactly is PRO C? How do I get started in learning it?

Well, you need to answer the first question before the second becomes meaningful.

Pro*C is a pre-compiler, which takes as input a mixture of C and SQL, and generates as output pure C, which can then be compiled and linked against the Oracle client libraries. It's much easier to write C applications like this than it is to use OCI. However, it's more effort to write programs like this than it is to write pure PL/SQL, altho' your program will run faster, and will have access to all the other C libraries on your machine, for example networking and graphics. Having said that, if you need these things, you might be better off with Dev/2000 or Java.

So what I'm saying is, first you need to know whether or not Pro*C is suitable for your application, as learning it is non-trivial. If, however, it is what you need, phone Oracle Education, who run classes in it.

Personally speaking, I only use it in cases where host resources are limited and I also need to perform system level routines, for example sockets programming. SQLJ is almost always a better choice with Oracle 8i.

Cheers,

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | Happiness is a loaded weapon, and
Technology Analysis & Consulting  |   a short cut is better by far.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |     -- The Sisters of Mercy