Moving Oracle database data files from Veritas to a non-Veritas

From: Scott Lockhart <sdlockhart_at_bigplanet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:04:04 -0500

Lazy DBA List Mates,
I am building a test environment from our Production databases and plan to clone the databases from their hot backups. No biggie; just move the datafiles and archive logs, alter the controlfile, start up the database in nomount, and recover to a point-in-time with the archive logs. Piece of cake. :)

The only wrinkle is that the Production database contains a mixture of database datafiles in Veritas and standard UFS files. The Test environment is strictly "cooked" or UFS filesystems.

My UNIX Sys Admins assure me that these Veritas files will work on a UFS filesystem with no problems.

Does anyone have any experience taking database datafiles from Veritas and placing them on a straight UFS filesystem?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Lockhart
Sr. Oracle DBA
Nu Skin Enterprises Received on Mon May 22 2000 - 22:04:04 CDT