ORA-7445 Core Dumps on 8.1.5 - Event Based Triggers

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 19:38:48 -0400

We just cleared up a TAR that was open for several months (in fact we filled up one TAR and started a second), and I wanted to record it for those who are encountering core dumps under 8.1.5 (DEC Alphas running DEC 4.0d) and are using the new system-level event triggers (okay, it's a small group, but this is a bug you should know about). The bug number for those interested in it is: 1282252. I doubt that it's published, but you can at least mention it to support if you encounter this.

We were having core dumps whenever there was an unhandled exception from certain applications (TOAD and SQL Worksheet caused core dumps, but SQL Plus and stored procedures did not). After looking everywhere but the obvious place I discovered through a trace recommended by Oracle support that a trigger was firing during every successful return of an error message. This was an 8i event trigger which monitored for ORA-600 errors and emailed the DBAs when one happened. The triggers had previoussly functioned fine, and I'm not sure what event or change caused a change in behavior, but the trigger started causing ORA-7445s every time there was an unhandled exception in certain apps. Disabling the trigger was not enough to stop it (!?), so I dropped the trigger and we are now back to normal.

According to support this problem does not reproduce in 8.1.6, since "there were significant changes made to the routines that manages the session language handle from 8.1.5 to 8.1.5.1 and 8.1.6."

Regards, Received on Sat May 20 2000 - 18:38:48 CDT