Re: Off -topic - newbie C programming question

From: PD Miller <millerp_at_caribdata.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:49:16 +0100

At 11:07 am +0100 19/5/00, John Dunn wrote:
>Can anyone provide me with a quick bit of code to demonstrate how to call
>the gethostname routine (this is on AIX), and display the result.

It is not really AIX specific, but here is a very simple example:

#include <stdlib.h>

int main ( void ) {
char *thename;
int thelen = 20, theresult;
theresult = gethostname(thename,thelen); printf("The hostname is %s and gethostname() returned %d\n",thename,theresult); exit(0);
}

Notice that gethostname() does not return the name, it puts the name in the first argument which is a pointer to an array of char. It returns a simple 0 or 1 for 'no error' or 'error' respectively.

HTH Paul Miller

-
Carib Data Limited

<mailto:millerp_at_caribdata.co.uk>