RE: 8.1.5 much slower than 7.3.4

From: cyril <cyril_at_stockholding.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:09:19 +0530

Hello!

Sorry, the performance degradation we are talking of is  a 'general and overall performance degradation' whose source is not the  'application code'

 The reason I say this is.. we even found some utilities (I repeat utilities not application code)
  were found to perform worse than Oracle 7.3.4.

 The utility I am mentioning is export utility and not import.

 Surely select count(*) from table_name is a good test to start with isn't it...
 before we as DBAs point a finger at the 'poor' developers!!!!

 Of course we caught hold of a 'caring' Oracle Support person  who was kind enough to let us know that there was a bug with the export utility...

 I would love for feedback on this question as we at our site are baffled and filled with self doubt
 (believe me I am not exaggerating).. particularly since we had invested money in
 64-bit hardware under the notion that 64-bit hardware will provide a larger I/O bandwidth
 and hence decrease ( I repeat again decrease not increase) the export time.

 But could some 'experienced' soul cast more light on this issue.. Received on Fri May 19 2000 - 01:39:19 CDT