Basic pl/sql question

From: Nguyen, Long <Long.Nguyen_at_its.csiro.au>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:12:35 +1000

Hi,

I have got the very simple pl/sql pgm below:

  1 create or replace procedure atest
  2 as
  3 rate number(2,2);
  4 begin
  5 rate := 7.8 ;
  6* end;

When I executed this procedure I got the following error

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: number precision too large
ORA-06512: at "NGU059.ATEST", line 5
ORA-06512: at line 1

Why?

If I changed declaration of variable rate to number(3,2) the procedure is executed ok. Why? Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 21:12:35 CDT