Re: Oracle Universal Installer

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 07:40:19 -0400

  We have 8.1.5 working on several Digital Unix 4.0d machines. Let me = know if you want to compare kernel params, privs, etc.

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications
Ephrata, PA USA

>>> <Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us> 05/17/00 11:50AM >>>

Operating System: Digital Unix 4.0d

I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.5 on this Unix machine. When I try to run
the Oracle Universal Installer, I get:

/cdrom> ./runInstaller
Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
/cdrom/install/../stage/Components/oracle /swd/jre/1.1.7/1/DataFiles/Expanded/jre/decunix/bin/jre. Please wait... SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation

    si_signo [11]: SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
    si_errno [0]: Error 0 occurred.
    si_code [1]: SEGV_MAPERR [addr: 0x140638000]

along with pages and pages of errors. I have filed a bug report with Oracle
Tech Support, and it has been turned over to development for resolution--last week.
They tell me that they have seen this error before, but intermittently, = and
have not
a clue as to what causes it. They are unable to reproduce the problem on their
similarly configured boxes.

So, it appears that I am stuck, and cannot install Oracle 8i on this machine. It also
happens on all of my Digital Unix 4.0d boxes. Used to be that Oracle gave you a
character-based installed in case there were problems with the motif version, but
now the only avenue into installing Oracle software is the Universal Installer written
in java.

Has anyone seen anything similar, perhaps have some suggestions on what I can do?
I am out of ideas. I installed that required versions of java and jre, = and
sent a list of
my environment and installed products to tech support.

Sherrie Kubis
Southwest Florida Water Management District 2379 Broad Street
Brooksville, FL 34609
352.796.7211 Ext 4033
Fax: 352-754-6776
sherrie.kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us=20

--=20
Author:=20
  INET: Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 06:40:19 CDT