RE: Re[2]: Oracle DBA opening in Englewood, CO

From: Bruce Page <bpage_at_kimball.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:40:21 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFC0F0.383299AC

        charset="iso-8859-1"

I had an end user one time give me very sketchy requirements. I went bad to her to flesh them out. She said I should have enough to get started. At the time she was in the process of building a house. I asked her how the house was coming along. After her talking for a few minutes, she got to a part where she had changed her mind about something, but it was too late in the building process to change (without adding a lot of rework cost) so she had to live with it. I jumped at this. I pointed out that "requested changes made too late" was what I was trying to avoid. I explained to her that building a house (I grew up doing construction work) is not much different than building a system. Once things are done, they are done and for them to change requires a lot of rework and delays. I never had a problem with her again.

If you can explain to them in a manner they understand, the users are the best source to get system requirements from.