Oracle data integrity

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:18:23 -0700

One of my areas of responsibility is a very small & very low activity e-commerce database which resides on a dedicated server. For this application there is a separate development system. Both of these are on Solaris V2.6 running V8.1.5 Oracle.

A short while ago I shutdown the development instance & as a test I launched a script that did a number of "rcp" (remote copy) commands that copied all the data files & control files associated with the production database to the development system. Please NOTE that this was done while the production instance was up, online & servicing customers. (Of course given the VERY slow order rate on this system, it could have been idle while the copies occurred.)

After all the rcp commands had completed, just for drill I went into SVRMGRL and tried to start the development database. (It took less than a minute to copy all the files.)

Lo & BEHOLD the development instance started using the files I had just copied.

Does the development instance NOW still have integral data integrity?

--
Charlie Mengler                       Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                      5505 Morehouse Drive