RE: Transactions waiting for Lock on Rollback Segments

From: <LBhat_at_LEVI.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 18:55:57 -0700

Cut-Paste from Orace 7 Server Tuning Manual.

<<To reduce contention for the free lists of a table, re-create the table with
a larger value for the FREELISTS storage parameter. Increasing the value of this parameter to the number of Oracle processes that concurrently insert data into the table may benefit performance for the INSERT statements>>

wrt to your problem, I would advice to check the following

  1. Increase total no. of rollback segments upto 50 (not more than that, oracle advice)
  2. Increase transactions_per_rollback_segments parameter. You may be able to balance between (1) and (2).
  3. Increase the freelists on the tables participating in the process to have sufficient no. of freelists for the no. of concurrent transactions.

BTW, is there any overhead/drawback if the table is having more than enough freelists?
List, your suggestions pls.

Regards.