Re: timed stats

From: <Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:08:48 -0700

Jared,

I turned on the timed_statistics in all my databases also. I used to handle several database which the vendors warned us not to turned on the timed_statistics, and for performing tuning performance, I insist in turning on the timed_statistics, and I would say that I can't even notice any performance difference.

Those statistics is too valuable in tuning. And a very very slight degrade (which I cannot even tell!) of the performance is really worth to trade in for those timed_statistics.

Winnie

Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com> on 05/17/2000 07:27:13 AM

To: "Uppal, Inde" <Inde.Uppal_at_chelwest.org> cc: "Oracle-L Jared's List" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>, oracledba_at_lazydba.com

      (bcc: Winnie Liu/HQ/ISC)

Subject: Re: timed stats

I have never seen a 10% overhead. Neither has anyone else that has shared their experiences with the list.

Jared

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Uppal, Inde wrote:

> Jared,
> I wonder if you could clarify this for me, the oracle tuning manual says
> that timed_stats can give up to a 10% overhead.
>
> Thanks
> Inde

I'm
> > thinking about collecting "performance snapshots" on a periodic basis
with
> > cron so I can toggle timed_statistics on/off.
> >
> > Any recommendations or feedback on timed_statistics?
> >
> > Anyone enthused about or have feedback on statspack?
> >
> > Statspack was covered in the March/April issue of Oracle Magazine.
> >

> > Steve Orr
> >

> > --------
> > If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com
> (updated daily)
> > to unsubscribe, send a blank email to
oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk
> > to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk
> >

> Jared Still
> Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-)
> Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
> jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address
> jkstill_at_teleport.com - private
>

> --------
> If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com
> (updated daily)
> to unsubscribe, send a blank email to

oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk
> to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk
>

> This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If
you
> have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify
us
> immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your
system.
> Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents
> to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence. Any views
> expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where
> the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Trust.
> Thank you for your co-operation.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private

If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com (updated daily)
to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk Received on Wed May 17 2000 - 11:08:48 CDT