RE: Oracle DBA opening in Englewood, CO

From: Bruce Page <bpage_at_kimball.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:15:31 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFC045.1FB712D2

        charset="iso-8859-1"

I was a developer for a few years, then a DBA for a couple, then went into application support, became a development DBA, and then a support DBA, then a Unix system administrator, and now doing level 2 DBA support.

I have covered the whole ball of wax. Developers are supposed to be IT professionals. It is one thing for a newbie to ask stupid questions, that is how they learn. It is another for developers that are supposed to be experienced asking stupid questions. They should know what manuals to look in to get their answers. They should know how to run an explain plan. End users are not IT professionals. The standard for them is a lot lower, since they have other jobs to do. I have only worked for 1 company where IT was a real profit center. It's business was providing IT services to other companies. All other companies I have worked for, IT was a support service for the business. End users are out there trying to make money for the company, most IT shops only aids other parts of the company in making money.

End users are who we need to get along with.

I agree there are dense ones on all sides and we all need to learn to do our jobs and get them done.