RE: Oracle DBA opening in Englewood, CO

From: <Steve.Gough_at_gocorp.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:38:14 +1000

Hi Lisa, Jeff

I agree. Yes jack of all trades master of none and I'm glad it's not typical. Wasn't meant to sound derogatory of operational roles, just to=

highlight the differences in the roles. I tried to say "NO" to some of=  the
career diluting tasks, pricing for offsite storage, but it was pushed under the carpet.

Jeff, get as much clarification as you can on the role.

You are the master of your own destiny.

                                                                       =
                                     =20
                    Lisa_Koivu_at_ge                                      =
                                     =20
                    lco.com              To:     Multiple recipients of=
 list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>=20
                    Sent by:             cc:                           =
                                     =20
                    root_at_fatcity.        Subject:     RE: Oracle DBA op=
ening in Englewood, CO               =20
                    com                                                =
                                     =20
                                                                       =
                                     =20
                                                                       =
                                     =20
                    17/05/00                                           =
                                     =20
                    07:51                                              =
                                     =20
                    Please                                             =
                                     =20
                    respond to                                         =
                                     =20
                    ORACLE-L                                           =
                                     =20
                                                                       =
                                     =20
                                                                       =
                                     =20

Jeff,

No this is not typical. My gosh! It sounds like this person must be a=

jack-of-all-trades. My job concentrates on ORACLE only and being able = to
interpret what's going on in the OS (rarely). I said 'NO' to all the software
support crap when one of our DBA's left, and it worked. 37 databases i= s
ENOUGH
without worrying about other stuff.

There are days when I miss the creative (and pagerless) world of development
though.
Lisa

Jeff Wiegand <jwiegand_at_ancept.com> on 05/16/2000 09:39:38 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Lisa Koivu/GELCO)

I've been an Oracle DBA for 1.5 years. For the last six months I've wor= ked
as a Java developer, in addition to supporting Oracle databases (all development). I'm at a crossroads here, trying to decide on a career pa= th.
Is the job description below pretty typical for DBA work? The idea of providing help desk support and end user support is enough to make me vomit.
That is just my personal preference.

Author: Donita Hilfinger
  INET: dohi_at_gwl.com

Author: Jeff Wiegand