RE: many schemas

From: Dave Morgan <dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:33:37 -0700

Hi Lisa,

        My last job had a DSS database with over 400 schemas and over 110,000 objects.

        This split up as 9000 tables, 14000 indices, 20000 views and about 60,000

        synonyms. The rest were stored code and other things...

        While querying the data dictionary include OWNER in the where clause as this is the

        only field indexed in most of the dba views.

	The Dictionary Cache must be larger than usual. Pinning objects
	and caching small tables and indices is also very important. Analyse
your
	heavily hit tables and cache them even if they are large. This may
require some
	changes in init.ora (CACHE_THRESHOLD_SIZE??), as well as drastic
increases in
	the size of the SGA. We cached a 150M table to fix the performance
problem below.

        If a large number of your objects are private synonyms in many cases public

        synonyms will clean up your dictionary. Often you can use a public synonym and

	control access through grants. Use roles instead of individual grants.
	Also look for similarily defined views, in many cases these can also be
shared.

        We noticed a performance hit once we got over 40,000 objects mainly due to the

        grant lookups and owner translations. However, maintenance is much easier if

        each schema has it's own tablespace. Since our database consisted of related

        geological datasets it would have been dangerous and insecure to simplify the

        schema model. As Jared mentioned, seperate databases are very slow so the only

        way to keep performance up is through proper design of your access model.

        If you like tuning you are in for alot of fun.

Dave

On Mon, 15 May 2000 Lisa_Koivu_at_gelco.com wrote:

> Hello -
>
> Has anyone seen a database with a large number of schemas? I have one database

Snip .....

Dave Morgan
Senior Database Administrator
Internet Barter Inc. Received on Tue May 16 2000 - 10:33:37 CDT