Re: Extent allocation (New DBA Question)

From: Madhavan Amruthur <mad012000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:47:32 PDT

Hi,
When Oracle allocated the initial extent, it searches for contigious blocks + 1 which in this case will be 8. If it cannot find 8 blocks it searches for a greater set than 8 blocks and in this case found 10 contigous blocks and allocated it to the extent. If it had found 13 blocks (req number + 5), it will allocate 8 blocks to the extent and leave the 5 blocks free. If it finds 9, 10,11 or 12 contigous blocks then it allocates all of them to the extent.

You can refer to the Oracle Concepts Manual (Extents, Blocks and Segments Chapter) if you need more detailed information.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Madhavan
IBM Corporation Webserver Div