Re: Segments storage in memory

From: Madhavan Amruthur <mad012000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:18:42 PDT

Hi,
There are 3 types of buffer pools, keep, recycle and default. When a buffer pool keep is done, the object associated with the keep is retained in the buffer cache. The recycle pool will eliminate the buffers as soon as they are used.

All the 3 pools are part of the buffer cache. The default holds all the buffers other than the keep and recycle. The keep and the recycle buffers are subtracted from the total db_block_buffers.

The CACHE specification will read the buffers to the LRU end of the chain when a full table scan is done and will be aged out eventually. The Keep cache will retian the buffers in the memory.

There is no CACHE specification for the index but you can put them into the keep pool of the buffer cache.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Madhavan
IBM Corporation Webserver Div

>From: Viktor Naumov <stant_98_at_yahoo.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: Re: Segments storage in memory
>Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:05:41 -0800
>
>First,I haven't heard anything about BUFFER_POOL KEEP
>clause. Am I missing something here?
>Secondly, when you say CACHE when creating a
>table(recommended for small tables), your SGA will
>cache the table which will make data retreval faster.
>Lastly, I haven't heard anything such as creating
>with CACHE spec. Am I missing something here too?
>

>--- Andrey Bronfin <bronfin_at_VisualTop.com> wrote:
> > Dear DBAs !
> >
> > Could U please clear the following for me :
> >
> > 1) What's the difference between creating a table
> > with storage ( BUFFER_POOL KEEP) vs . creating a
> > table with CACHE specification ?
> >
> > 2) Is it possible to create an index specifying
> > CACHE ? ( I did not succeed so far and i don't have
> > a doc to look at ) .
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance !
> >

>=====

>http://im.yahoo.com/