RE: wait events

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:39:55 -0400

Jack,

I have a few comments on places to look. A lot of the items near the top of your list are normally ignored (like the 'SQL*Net message from client') but very high figures can indicate a networking issue either in how the network itself is doing (competition from other traffic, packet size, presence of a 'chattering' card on the net, etc.) or a Net8 issue. The high number of db file scattered reads may be of more concern, however, since it shows a lot of full table scans are going on. This would point to getting on your developers 'top ten SQL queries from hell' and optimizing them. This usually represents a large part of the problem that is 'Oracle's fault' or 'that dang DBA.' Be nice to your developers, as a rule, but if they continue to write badly tuned SQL that ignores indexes and just look at you oddly when you talk about cost-based optimization and hints, consider having one of them hung in a cage above the cubicles as an example to the others.

I would be interested in seeing the results of this query on your system at a busy time:

SELECT

	Event,
	SUM(Total_Waits),
	SUM(Total_Timeouts)
FROM
	V$Session_Event
WHERE
	total_timeouts > 0
GROUP BY
	Event

This should pop some problem children to the surface. Some of your values look like you have a similar problem to us: bad I/O, particularly redo. We have always had problems with redo, and could still use more tuning.

How balanced is your I/O? Do you have the luxury of having things spread out, or are you stuck with what an SA laid down in concrete for disk/array setup? Also, what kind of a system is it, OLTP, DSS, mixed? High transaction rate?

I just read in your next message in this thread that you moved to a 4K block size. Generally not a good idea, though I suppose there are some really high-transaction OLTP systems that can actually benefit. We're comfortable with an 8K on both our OLTP and DSS instances, but then we have a transaction rate a fast typist could probably keep up with (~1,000 transactions a day) and you should probably consider 16 or higher for anything faintly resembling a warehouse.

Regards,
Chris Gait

Author: Jack van Zanen
  INET: nlzanen1_at_ey.nl