VARCHAR2 vs. CHAR in the Primary Key

From: Jain, Akshay <Akshay.Jain_at_cit.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 15:54:12 -0400

Can I ask from people's experience whether using VARCHAR2 instead of a fixed length CHAR field is a bad idea for primary keys? Would it cause problems later
on for developers, when importing and querying data having keys of different lengths?

I always thought that for major entities, a very rigidly defined primary key would
help with data integrity and join performance.

Thanks in advance.

Akshay Jain

Newcourt-CIT
Tel. (416) 507-5385