RE: Oracle 8 and Forms 3

From: GenericOracleList <ORALIST_at_sswdserver.sswd.csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 12:18:20 PST

Bruce,

Sorry for duplication if you have already been down this road.

Did you look into "EAS" (Extended Assistance Support?) for 7.3.4?

EAS is "support" (usually 2 extra years?) after the (terminal release?) of a product has been "desupported".

If that seem confusing, look through the "lifecycle" part of Metalink, somewhere there is a description of "EAS", and how it fits into Oracle's general "obsolescence model".

The definitions are sort of soft and squishy, and apparently this allows Oracle to be flexible about how it defines EAS in each customer's case. My personal experience is that they refused to give me any hard details about EAS and desupport of a particular platform, preferring to push the "hard line" about the need to upgrade from 7.x to 8.

Anyway, my impression is that basically, Oracle EAS provides a minimum level of support (no *new* bug fixes), but they will give advice, provide workarounds & preexisting fixes, etc. EAS is also supposed to provide full upgrade rights (same as "regular" support).

I'm sure you'll be amazed to find that they charge extra for EAS.

good luck!