RE: indexes

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:07:43 -0400

It will use the index because of column A in the where clause. It may even filter the index based on C after a range scan on A. Not 100% sure about this though.

--
Chuck Hamilton
QVC Inc.

                    "Vinayaka
                    Holla (TSG)"         To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <holla_at_wipro.        cc:     (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON/QVC)
                    co.in>               Subject:     RE: indexes
                    Ext: NA
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    05/11/00
                    02:26 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Hi, I found this in the oracle concept manual

Composite indexes can speed retrieval of data for SELECT statements in
which
the
WHERE clause references all or the leading portion of the columns in the
compos-ite
index. Therefore, the order of the columns used in the definition is
important;
generally, the most commonly accessed or most selective columns go first.

I hope this will help u

 Regards
 Vinayaka Holla.

* : 5569991 Extn. : 332
Page : 9612-426531
Visit us at http://www.wiproindia.com

The trouble with doing anything right the first time
is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was. - Anon