Re:Oracle on One Spindle

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:09:23 -0400

Ken,

    The question would seem to be is it just one spindle, or one mount point. Although on the surface it may look like a semantic thing they are very different. If it's just one mount point, then there may be several spindles underneath managed by the Logical Volume Manager (LVM). If that's the case then the major down side would be the search path getting very long to each of the files that make up the database. I'm not a HP-UX guru, just a user, but my HP GURU Admin tells me that the Inode management can get very messy in this case. He has recommended creating lots of mount points, some off of the root mount point for Oracle. As in:

/ora1
/ora1/data
/ora1/indexes
/ora1/archive
/ora1/temp

I think you get the message??? Although there's lots of mount points and spindles it makes it easy for him to set up the backups.

  1. run dbshut as Oracle
  2. backup everything in /ora1
  3. run dbstart as Oracle
Subject: Oracle on One Spindle
Author: "Janusz; Kenneth" <Kenneth.Janusz_at_fingerhut.com> Date: 5/9/00 1:32 PM

I am interviewing with a company now that has an Oracle based statistical process control application running on one spindle (HP-UX). They want to add another application for WIP tracking. They do not see any reason why they shouldn't keep everything on one spindle. I can think of a few reasons NOT to do this, but I would like more ammunition.

TIA, Ken

Kenneth C. Janusz, CPIM         FINGERHUT DTC
Senior Technical Analyst                        6150 Trenton Lane North,
DC4N
                                                    Plymouth, Minnesota
55442
 *Voice:  763.519.4403

 *Email: kenneth.janusz_at_fingerhut.com

"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you
later." -- Mary Bly

Author: Janusz, Kenneth
  INET: Kenneth.Janusz_at_fingerhut.com