Re: Oracle and High Availability solutions

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:58:55 -0400

Some of us aren't real comfortable with OPS. As I understand it it's more difficult to manage and suffers severe performance problems unless you're on 8.1.6. BTW neither of these solutions - clustering or OPS - addresses the far greater problem of media failure. If you really truly need to be up 24x7 and have a datafile get accidentally deleted, or a disk array that goes bad, you're SOL. Sure you can recover the datafile(s), but your application is could be down for the duration of the recovery.

--
Chuck Hamilton
QVC Inc.

                    "Steve Orr"
                    <sorr_at_arzoo.c        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    om>                  cc:     (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON/QVC)
                    Ext: NA              Subject:     Re: Oracle and High Availability solutions
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    05/08/00
                    01:37 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

I'm curious... why use cluster management software without OPS? As I
understand it, with a cluster management only solution, you have to
failover
to another machine by shutting down the first machine, shutting down and
remounting the file system on the failover machine, and starting up Oracle
on the failover machine in crash recovery mode. With OPS you just keep
going
without the need for a failover. Why dedicate a second machine for failover
when you can just use it in parallel? The reason I ask is because our
sysadmin folks are trying to impose Veritas Cluster Manager on DBA team
members who are keen on OPS.

Does anyone have any experience with Veritas Cluster Manager or know of
anyone who has? Any opinions on Veritas?

TIA!!!
Steve Orr