Anyone using statspack? (new for 8.1.6+ only)

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:01:51 -0700

Anyone using the new statspack which became available as of 8.1.6? It looks like a worthy replacement for bstat/estat. (See the files matching $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/stats*.) It provides a sample DBMS_JOB to gather stats every hour on the hour but to do this properly they want you to have timed_statistics = TRUE all the time.

What are the pros/cons of having timed_statistics permanently turned on? I know some of the 3rd party monitoring tools want it on all the time. I'm thinking about collecting "performance snapshots" on a periodic basis with cron so I can toggle timed_statistics on/off.

Any recommendations or feedback on timed_statistics?

Anyone enthused about or have feedback on statspack?

Statspack was covered in the March/April issue of Oracle Magazine. Received on Wed May 10 2000 - 19:01:51 CDT