Re: Oracle 8 vs Oracle 8i

From: Rajan Varad G <vrajan_at_hsc.hac.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 09:36:13 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------57F3BCD11058EA01A438AA56

--------------C2AFFB21E5BA8FB44256D17D

Andrey Bronfin wrote:

>       Dear ALL ! My company and me are about to decide to go
>      either for Oracle8 or Oracle8i .It's an absolutely new
>      Internet application , so no migration is needed - we are
>      starting from scratch .I'm interested in all the inputs ,
>      especially in terms of performance , stability & easiness of
>      maintenance , to compare the two versions .We are planning
>      for thousands of concurrent users & a very high
>      queries/second rate  , although the queries promise to be
>      pretty light selects .The O/S  be Sun UNIX  (or may be
>      HP-UX  , we haven't decide about this either :-) .Any input
>      will be VERY appreciated .Thanks a lot in advance . Andrey .

Anrey:
Here is some inTOP TEN REASONS TO MIGRATE TO ORACLE8i
  1. It's easy It's easy for both existing Oracle customers and sites using non-Oracle databases to begin using Oracle8i.

For sites currently using Oracle7 or Oracle8 Release 8.0, an easy-to-use wizard is included which quickly tran
sforms the existing database into an Oracle8i database. This process does not need to move or update any of th e data in the tables, so it runs efficiently for all database sizes, including even the largest data warehouse  databases.

For customers who have data in non-Oracle databases, Oracle offers theOracle Migration Workbench, which is a f ree downloadable product that simplifies the process of migrating data and applications from non-Oracle databa
ses to Oracle8i. It is a GUI-based, wizard-driven product that allows you to quickly and easily migrate an ent ire application system, including the database schema, users, and stored procedures to the Oracle environment

9. It's the database for Internet computing

With solutions developed and deployed with Oracle8i, any organization is able to exploit the unlimited opportu
nities the Internet provides.

Oracle. interMedia enables Oracle8i to manage text, documents, image, audio, video, and locator data in an int egrated fashion with other enterprise information. It includes Internet services supporting popular web client
 interfaces, web development tools, web servers, and streaming media servers.

Oracle. WebDB is a complete and cost-effective solution for building, deploying, and proactively monitoring We b database applications and content-driven web sites. By combining an intuitive, HTML interface with a complet e set of robust, browser-based HTML tools, Oracle WebDB allows non-programmers to easily develop Web database applications and still have time to concentrate on their real jobs. Oracle WebDB is the fastest and easiest wa y to web-enable Oracle databases.

8. Complete Java support

Java has quickly become today's most popular programming language because it appeals to everyone, from develop ers who find the language robust and object-oriented, to CIOs and managers who see Java as reducing costs and simplifying application development and support.

Oracle has been a pioneer in recognizing the promise of Java and has made a strategic commitment to Java. Orac le supports the development and deployment of Java applications for the client, middle-tier or the Oracle data
base. Oracle8i supports all of the major Internet standards, such as HTTP, IIOP, SSL, and stored procedures wr itten in Java.

Oracle JServer is a scalable Java Virtual Machine (Java VM) integrated with the database server, providing cus
tomers with Java support in all tiers. With JServer, Java can be used anywhere PL/SQL can be used, including t riggers, functions, and procedures. JDeveloper is a robust, GUI Java development tool that makes Java developm ent and deployment in the Oracle environment simple.

7. Data warehouse and VLDB support

Oracle8i includes many new features designed specifically to enhance the performance and manageability of very
 large databases and data warehouses

---
fo which might be useful:

--------------C2AFFB21E5BA8FB44256D17D

Andrey Bronfin wrote:

Anrey:
databases to begin using Oracle8i.
wizard is included which quickly tran
does not need to move or update any of th
including even the largest data warehouse
Migration Workbench, which is a f
and applications from non-Oracle databa
you to quickly and easily migrate an ent
procedures to the Oracle environment
is able to exploit the unlimited opportu
audio, video, and locator data in an int
services supporting popular web client
media servers.
--------------C2AFFB21E5BA8FB44256D17D-- --------------57F3BCD11058EA01A438AA56 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vrajan.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Rajan Varad G Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="vrajan.vcf" begin:vcard n:Rajan;Varad x-mozilla-html:FALSE org:Hughes Space and Communications;Information Technology adr:;;;;;; version:2.1