Oracle and High Availiability Software

From: Steve Parker <steve.parker_at_lis.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:20:29 +0100

Dear All,

Consider High Availability (HA) Oracle systems, i.e UNIX and MC/ServiceGuard / TruCluster / HACMP etc
where the Oracle database and binaries are held on a 'highly resilient' shared disk array which can be
accessed from 2 or more servers.

When either the HA Service providing Oracle is gracefully 'bounced' from one server to the other, or is restarted on an alternate server due to the main server
crashing etc, is it true to state that only one server at any one time is accessing
 ( or can access ) the Oracle database.

Oracle parallel server is NOT being used !

In all cases, 'simple' scripts are used by the HA Service to stop and start Oracle,
which normally mimic what an operator would do anyway.

I would have thought that 2 sets of binaries accessing the same database would have disatrous consequences. I'm sure that under HA, access to the datafiles would be strictly controlled to only allow the primary server to 'see' them.

Any thought / experience / comments please .....

Thanks

Steve Parker Received on Mon May 08 2000 - 08:20:29 CDT