Re: DB-Link Question

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:51:35 EDT

Absolutely! I haven't seen the issue when GLOBAL_NAMES=FALSE, but when GLOBAL_NAMES=TRUE the dblink name MUST match the global name of the db to which it connects. Keep in mind that the global_name does NOT have to match the db_name or sid.

To find the global_name:
  SELECT * FROM GLOBAL_NAME; To change the global_name
  ALTER DATABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME TO <new_global_name>;     <global_name> is not in quotes.

WARNING: NEVER change the global_name on a master/masterdef site in a multi-master/updatable snapshot replication environment as this does NOT change the replication catalog (nor is there a way to change the global_name in the replication catalog other than to start hacking the data dictionary).

HTH,