RE: Core dump with ora 7445

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:59:10 -0400

Can you fill me in on your setup? We are getting very similar behavior (a core dump on constraint violation was one of several triggering events) on our Digital 4.0d server running 8.1.5. Are you on similar hardware? If so we should go off-list and share notes on my currently opened TAR on this (12833964.600). We get core dumps from any unhandled user exception from some, but not all, client applications. This seems like either an Oracle bug or a client setup issue, because the same piece of code can cause an ORA-7445 & core dump & end of file on communications channel on SQL Worksheet or TOAD, but not on SQL*Plus, all running on the same client against the same server/instance. I'm looking into kernel settings right now (signal 11 is a segmentation fault, after all), and Oracle has issued bug 1282252 on the issue.

I'll be out in Anaheim at IOUG-A if anyone wants to share notes on the joys of ORA-7445's with me. Also won't have access to my regular email the whole time, so please send to cjgait_at_yahoo.com if you want to talk about it this coming week.

Christopher Gait
Software Technology, Inc.
An Exigent Company

"Expedience is the mother of convention."