RE: Anyone actually use it as an event monitor?

From: Nguyen, Long <Long.Nguyen_at_its.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 16:08:08 +1000

Hi Jay,

I myself have been involved in setting up OEM to do event monitoring. We run OEM 205 and console on NT4 monitoring 804 and 815 databases on Solaris 2.6 servers.

My experience with this has been somewhat a frustrating one. Setting up is fairly simple which includes running dbsnmp agent on the db server, discovering services there and registering events from the console. I also found that OEM v2 interface is better than v2 (though it is a bit slow due to Java stuff). However on the down side:

  1. The system does not seem to be stable enough. The dbsnmp agent has a problem where the 2nd dbsnmp process occasionally dies abnormally and a few minutes later it is created. As a result you get large number of "NODE UNREACHABLE" and "CLEARED" OEM emails messages. Oracle can not yet explain why this happens. The problem is that it only happens on one of the servers here whereas no problems on other servers that run exactly the same version/configuration.
  2. The other problem I had with OEM is that it uses some US time and so being in Canberra (Australia) when an event happens the time recorded by OEM is some 17 hours earlier then the actual local time. Oracle said it is a bug and has shown me a work around for it.
  3. Documentation on how OEM event management works is not sufficient.
  4. The effectiveness of Oracle support in the snmp area is limited due to the limited knowledge of Oracle support personnel, especially in the snmp area.

I agree that Unix scripting would be more reliable. The good thing about using GUI tools like OEM is that you can quickly add/remove monitored services (databases, listeners etc) quickly through the console. You do not have to maintain same set of scripts on different servers.

Long

Author: Jay Weinshenker
  INET: jweinshe_at_concentric.net