RE: Oracle 8 vs Oracle 8i

From: Fisher, Julie <jfishe_at_sandia.gov>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:02:15 -0600

Andrey,

We are going from Oracle 7.3.4 to Oracle 8.1.5 mainly because I don't want the hassle in a year or two of having to upgrade the database from 8 to 8i. I will say in terms of the OS, go with Solaris. I've installed both Solaris and HP-UX, and I like Solaris much better. I really can't say that Solaris is faster or more robust than HP-UX, but it sure is easier for me to work with. That may be because I'm more used to Solaris, though.

HTH,   Julie

Julie Fisher
Sandia National Laboratories
Oracle7,8i DBA - OCP7
Solaris 2.6,7 Administrator
Oracle Application/Web Server Administrator