need proc for: insert into table1 select * from table2

From: Ben Poels <poelsb_at_post.queensu.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 14:27:51 -0400

Hi,

Does anyone have a procedure that will do an
"insert into table1 select * from table2" and
commit after every 1000 rows?
This is not a copy table, so I cannot use
"create table as" since I want to insert the
entire table2 into a table1 that already has a large number of rows. Both tables are in the same database.
The SQL*Plus manual suggests not using the
"copy from....to" for copying from one Oracle
database to another. Why? Is it very inefficient/slow? Thanks,

Ben Poels
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario Received on Thu May 04 2000 - 13:27:51 CDT