Re: Newbie Question - weird extents

From: William Beilstein <BeilstWH_at_obg.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:57:53 -0400

One of the things that will cause that is if it had a large number of = records that were them deleted. The space gained by a table is not = released except if you rebuild or truncate.

>>> "Warthling, Christy" <cwarthling_at_CharterOneBank.com> 05/03/00 10:14AM =

Hi all -=20

Being new to Oracle, I'm not sure if this is a common occurrence or if it indicates anything in particular.

We have an application (Lawson) using Oracle 8.1.5 (on NT, more's the = pity).
I have been checking file sizes pretty religiously since I'm new, the = system
is new, and we just went into production.

Yesterday a consultant (very helpful one, btw) was here helping me with = some
other issues, and we noticed that two of the tables seemed to have an = oddly
large number of extents (one had 49, one had 36 or so). Strange, considering that each table had only 14 records and the initial extent should have been plenty large enough to hold way more than that. We ended up exporting/truncating tables/recreating/importing the data, which worked fine.

But I'm curious to know if there's any way I can figure out why they = seemed
to break up like that - what do you all think?

TIA for any ideas -

Christy
cwarthling_at_charteronebank.com=20
--=20
Author: Warthling, Christy
  INET: cwarthling_at_CharterOneBank.com=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 03 2000 - 08:57:53 CDT