Re: Tune for 'db file sequential read'

From: Madhavan Amruthur <mad012000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 11:34:51 PDT

Hi Deepak,
The db file sequential read usually ndicates wait for sequential block reads (indexes mostly). Check to see if you have any buffer busy waits and if there are buffers that is being contended upon. You can query the x$bh segment to determine the blocks being waited upon and then determine the segments these blocks belong to.
You can try to alleviate the contention for these blocks by caching them using buffer pool feature if you are in 8.0 and above. Also check to see if there are lot of free buffer waits which might indicate increase in db buffers is needed.
Regarding the size of the SGA, it depends on what else is going on at the same time in instance A and instance B. The process might not be contending for any resources on instance B but on A some other process might be contending for the same resources.

I am sure you would have done this already, make sure that the execution plans match for the queries and if using CBO check if the stats are up to date on instance A.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Madhavan
IBM Corporation Webserver Div